Early accounts of Clarke County suggest that a church existed on the site of Stone’s Chapel as early as 1740. By at least 1785, a log church building had been constructed on the site, probably by a Lutheran congregation.
The first Lutheran minister of record at Stone’s Chapel was Christian Streit, who served from 1785 to 1812. Lutheran use of the chapel appears to have ceased following the establishment of the Union Church in Smithfield (now Middleway, West Virginia) between 1800 and 1810. However, Lutherans continued to use the Stone’s Chapel cemetery, through the 19th century.
It is unclear when Presbyterians began using Stone’s Chapel. The earliest documentation of the church property is a deed recorded in 1793, transferring the property from Jacob Stone and his wife Barbara to the “Trustees of the Lutheran and Calvinistic Societies.” The term “Calvinistic” could refer to Presbyterians or possibly a German Reform congregation.
Presbyterian records prior to 1886 have scant references to Stone’s Chapel. In 1824, the Winchester Presbytery appointed Reverend J.H.C. Leach to supply (preach) at “Stone’s Meeting House.” Records of the Winchester Presbytery record the names of three other ministers who preached at Stone’s Chapel, through 1857. However, ministers assigned to the presbytery but not “settled” at a church frequently preached at a churches without pastors, at their own discretion.
The present brick building was constructed in 1848. Following the establishment of the Berryville Presbyterian Church in 1853, the pastors of that church served at Stone’s Chapel. However, the first mention of Stone’s Chapel does not appear in the Church’s records until August 1878. From 1878 until 1886, a small congregation of Berryville Presbyterian Church members worshiped regularly at Stone’s Chapel. In September 1885, the Session of the Berryville Presbyterian Church agreed for the Church’s pastor to conduct worship services at Stone’s Chapel twice a month – a morning service on the third Sunday of each month and an afternoon service on the first Sunday.
In 1886, the Winchester Presbytery formally approved the organization of Stone’s Chapel Presbyterian Church as a separate church. The new church began with 15 members, 11 of whom came from Berryville Presbyterian Church.
In 1905, the vestibule tower on the front of the church and an addition on the back of the church for use as a Sunday School room was constructed. At the same time, a new slate roof was added, along with interior improvements including new pews, carpet, the memorial stained glass windows, a pipe organ, a mahogany pulpit and new pulpit furniture (settee and two chairs).
In the early 1950s, the Clarke County Cemetery Association was formed to maintain the adjacent cemetery, a function it continues to the present. The cemetery contains approximately 200 marked graves. The earliest gravestones date to the 1820s and include a number of Revolutionary War veterans.
Stone’s Chapel Presbyterian Church was closed in 2000. Ownership of the building was transferred to the Stone’s Chapel Memorial Association in 2012.
In June 2017, Stone’s Chapel once again became an active house of worship and is today the home of New Hope Baptist Church.